Glen Airy Place tucked away in North Hyde Park

(This post was originally published on June 18, 2017) Fewer than a dozen homes lined what was once known as Glen Airy Place ...

Female Architect Left Her Stamp On This Countryside Block

Although there were few female architects at the time, Alice Jackson designed and built three of the homes on this Countryside ...

Mansions at Armour and Main gradually repurposed, replaced

The Henry Fowler residence once stood at the corner of se corner of Main and Armour, serving as a union hall after 1940 and ...

Gardeners Once Flocked To A Backyard On This Block Near Westport

In the 1950s, many Kansas City gardeners visited the yard of Mrs. F.T. Hoeck at 4254 Jefferson near Westport Road. She was ...

Manheim Park block attracted immigrants in 1920s

Small, well-built bungalows lined Forest Avenue and E. 44th Street on this Manheim Park block in the 1940s. Much of the block ...

Residents Rebuild in West Plaza After 1962 Gas Main Explosion

Eleven homes at 46th and Wyoming were destroyed in a 1962 gas main explosion. It took more than a year for the damage to ...

West Plaza Block: Immigrants, Births, Deaths, Weddings, Soldiers

  The Alexander family, headed by railroad engineer Robert E. Alexander, was living in this West Plaza home as early ...

Block of Boulevards Shifts from Residential in 1920s

This block, bounded by Tracy to the west, The Paseo to the east, E. 31st to the north and Linwood Boulevard to the south, ...

Newly-renovated Scottish Rite Temple Anchors Historic Linwood and Paseo Block

The Scottish Rite Temple at the northwest corner of Linwood and the Paseo, opened in 1930, has recently been renovated and ...

Parkview Drugstores Started on this Manheim Park Block

David Smolinsky and his sons opened their first Parkview Pharmacy at 46th and Virginia in 1910. The pharmacy was named for ...