One of Kansas City’s Finest Homes Razed in 1912; Replaced by Sunset Hill School

In 1912, Judge A.M. Allen, an early Westport resident who gave him name to the Allen School and the Allen library, had to say goodbye to his much-loved home. “The Old Allen home,” known as the finest in Kansas City, had stood at the northwest ...

Volker Homes Built Around 1910 To Meet The Needs of Immigrants

  Irish immigrant Cornelius Flaherty, his wife Mary and brother-in-law Patrick Fitzgerald lived in this Volker home from around 1920 through the 1940s. Cornelius worked as a foreman at the stockyards and Patrick repaired cars for the Rock ...

Uncovering History: Have Much of Midtown Has Been Uncovered?

This is the low-tech map I use to keep track of the Uncovering History posts developed for the Midtown KC Post. So far, the project has detailed the histories of more than 150 blocks of Midtown. A very important part of the project is the participation ...

New site focuses on Porter Farm area around 27th and Troost

Mansions once lined Troost Avenue north of 31st Street in the Porter Farm Historic Preservation District. A new website celebrates its history and invites new residents to share their stories. While luxury homes, redeveloped commercial buildings, ...

The NE Corner of 39th and Main Holds Layers of History

When this 1924 photo of 39th and Main Street was taken, both sides of Main (seen here from the south) had been transformed from open space with a few scattered homes to commercial buildings. The streetcar track offers an important clue to why ...

How Central Hyde Park Prepared for Thanksgiving

This buildings on this block of Campbell between Manheim and E. 39th Streets look much the same as they did when they were built after the turn of the 20th century. As Thanksgiving approached in 1927, it’s a pretty good bet that Effie Kauffman ...

In 1910, a block of immigrant families in Valentine

The store at the corner of 34th and Pennsylvania as it looked in 1940. Russian immigrant Morris Greenman ran the store in 1910, selling food and other goods to new residents recently arrived from other countries. This recent Google map photo ...

In 1923, Work Began on First Block of Country Club Plaza

The Mill Creek Building, on the first block to be developed by J.C. Nichols for his Country Club Plaza in 1923, was designed to echo features of older California buildings. The block between Mill Creek Parkway and Wyandotte from 47th to W. 46th ...

Do you remember the northeast corner of Main and Thirty-first?

The corner of Thirty-first and Main in 1940. The corner of 31st and Main today. (Note: This post was originally published in September of 2015). The building at the corner of 31st and Main is one of Midtown’s most distinctive, known as ...

UMKC Block Includes Historic Carriage House Slated for Demolition Sept. 24

The historic Dickey mansion carriage house, one of the two original buildings on the UMKC campus built in 1912, is scheduled for demolition on Sept. 24. Architect Roger Gilman designed it as part of the carefully-planned Dickey property, with ...