Reassessment questions? Here’s some advice

The new property tax assessments continue to be a big issue in Midtown.

Many who got their reassessment notices this spring have been shocked by the increase in value, even though they may have thought their value was staying steady or even declining.

The county tax assessor recently said there were problems in the reassessed values of many Midtown homes and he urged people to file informal appeals while he completes a month-long process of reassessing the reassessments of many properties.

County Legislator Crystal Williams said she’s aware of some confusion, so she’s sent a letter advising people of what they should do about reassessment appeals. Here’s what she said:

Whether or not you receive a letter from the county stating that your property is being given a second look you should start the appeal process described below if you disagree with your initial assessment. 

If you have already filed an informal appeal and receive an adjustment letter in response to your informal appeal you may still receive the “second look” assessment letter. Receiving the second reassessment letter means the county is taking another look at your property and will likely change the assessment amount even if you received no or little relief after you filed the informal appeal. These new assessment letters should start hitting mailboxes around June 10th. If, after receiving your new, second assessment (not to be confused with the response from an appeal) you still disagree with the amount you will start the appeals process over, with an informal appeal.

Appeal Process:

  1. File an initial “informal appeal”. This process is easy and can be done online. You will need your parcel number and pin number which can be found on your assessment letter. You can also call the assessment department and do the appeal over the phone at 816-881-3530. This must be done no later than June 14th, 2013.
  2. If you are unable to get relief through the initial informal appeal you have the right to file a “formal appeal” with the Jackson County Board of Equalization (BOE). You must file this appeal no later than July 8th, 2013. For more information about the county appeals process CLICK HERE or call 816-881-4601.
  3. If you are still not satisfied you may further appeal to the Missouri State Tax Commission on or before September 30th, 2013.

Previous Posts

Comments are closed.