Gardeners Once Flocked To A Backyard On This Block Near Westport

In the 1950s, many Kansas City gardeners visited the yard of Mrs. F.T. Hoeck at 4254 Jefferson near Westport Road. She was a highly acclaimed gardener whose backyard drew many visitors every year. Today, the house and garden have been replaced ...

Manheim Park block attracted immigrants in 1920s

Small, well-built bungalows lined Forest Avenue and E. 44th Street on this Manheim Park block in the 1940s. Much of the block was developed around 1910, and by the 1920s, the homes were filled with families from Italy, Germany, Sweden, England ...

West Plaza Block: Immigrants, Births, Deaths, Weddings, Soldiers

  The Alexander family, headed by railroad engineer Robert E. Alexander, was living in this West Plaza home as early as 1910. Over the next three decades, Robert and Margaret Alexander had six children, lost one, saw a daughter married ...

Block of Boulevards Shifts from Residential in 1920s

This block, bounded by Tracy to the west, The Paseo to the east, E. 31st to the north and Linwood Boulevard to the south, began as a well-to-do residential block in 1900. Seen above in a 1907 map (left), the large Peltzer home dominated the ...

Parkview Drugstores Started on this Manheim Park Block

David Smolinsky and his sons opened their first Parkview Pharmacy at 46th and Virginia in 1910. The pharmacy was named for its view of Electric Park, a popular amusement park just to the west. Parkview Pharmacy became a popular gathering place ...

Troostwood Block Offered Shade, Bungalows, and Two-Car Garages

Many homes built in Midtown just after the turn of the 20th century didn’t have garages. But on this Troostwood block built in the 1920s, garages were an advertised feature, even of smaller bungalows, a sign of how dependent residents were ...

On the Edge of Midtown, A Home for Orphan Girls

Where the BMA Tower (One Park Place)  stands today, on a hill at 31st and Southwest Trafficway, Catholic nuns once ran a home for orphans. The St. Joseph Orphan Girls’ Home operated from 1880 until 1960, one of several charitable institutions ...

Levy Meat Company Family Lived on this Volker Block

  Among the earliest homes on this Volker block (36th to 37th, Genessee to Wyoming)  was that of pioneer butcher Isaac Levy. He and his family lived at 3615 Genessee in 1910, when there were only six homes on the block. In the 1920s, developers ...

Hyde Park Block Responded to Changing Residential Trends

  The Alexander Hamilton Apartments, seen in this 1949 Kansas City Star drawing,  were built during the post-war housing crisis. The 70 apartments offered much needed homes in an era where Kansas City residents were being urged to share ...

One of Kansas City’s Finest Homes Razed in 1912; Replaced by Sunset Hill School

In 1912, Judge A.M. Allen, an early Westport resident who gave him name to the Allen School and the Allen library, had to say goodbye to his much-loved home. “The Old Allen home,” known as the finest in Kansas City, had stood at the northwest ...