Get to know Kansas City Midtown neighborhoods
- Neighborhood association information
- Boundaries: 31st to 40th, Southwest Trafficway (Summit) to Broadway
- Meetings: No set day; watch website and newsletters for announcements of meeting
- Trash Day: Monday
- Upcoming meetings and events
- Reader’s comments and photos
Profile: Valentine Neighborhood (posted Feb. 14, 2013)
Ever wonder where the Valentine neighborhood got its name?
It’s true that Valentine’s Day is a big event in the Valentine neighborhood. There’s always a Valentine’s party where its annual Love Award is bestowed, and the neighborhood in recent years has served its signature cocktail – the Valentini – at the get-together.
But don’t let that fool you into thinking Valentine is named for the romantic holiday.
In fact, the neighborhood takes its name from P.A. Valentine, a real estate developer who owned a lot of Midtown property at the turn of the century, but who never actually lived within the neighborhood boundaries.
Today, Valentine is a small neighborhood tucked in between Broadway and Southwest Trafficway, from 31st Street to 40th. It’s a mixture of urban pioneers who bought cheap in the 1970s and 1980s and new, younger families with children.